"...a garden is like life:

something is always doing well, something is struggling, something is being born anew, and something is dying."

Edith Reed

Sunday, January 29, 2012

What seeds can I start now?

Okay, here is a list of things you can be starting by seed: Parsley,thyme,oregano,chive,basil,dill, cilantro,leek,Spanish onion,celery,kale,lettuce,cauliflower,broccoli & cabbage. You don't need a fancy set-up to do this...I use a large table in the basement covered with an electric blanket, topped with a big plastic shower curtain liner. Above the table John has hung those shop lights with fluorescent bulbs in them (we have replaced one bulb with a grow light, which you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot) My table is big enough to need three of these lights. John has them hooked to chains with S-hooks so we can raise and lower them. You want to keep the light pretty close to the plants to prevent them from getting leggy. I'm going to post some important sites to look at this month in a separate area. One of my favorite books is "Week by Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook"
You can get a copy on amazon for about $10 and it is well worth the money. This book will take you week by week through the whole year, letting you know what you should be doing based on your first frost-free date. My date here in West Chester is: April 25th. Tomorrow I'll tell you about my Aerogarden and how to start your seeds with one.

No comments: